Falafel, as we’ve come to know the Middle Eastern street food in America, is a deep-fried ball or patty-shaped fritter made from ground chickpeas. Middle Eastern restaurants often serve it up on a platter with rice, hummus, or salad, but it is also a great addition to a pita wrap. As a sandwich, it is typically topped with lettuce, pickled veggies, and tahini-based sauces. Falafel balls may also be eaten alone as a snack! However you choose to enjoy it, we have an excellent recipe below to make and indulge in your very own homemade falafel. All it takes is the fully equipped kitchen inside of your Norfolk apartment home!
• 1 cup dried chickpeas
• 1/2 large onion, roughly chopped
• 1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
• ¼ cup cilantro, finely chopped
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 4 cloves garlic
• 2 teaspoons cumin
• 1 teaspoon ground coriander
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 4 tablespoons chickpea or regular flour
1. Soak the chickpeas for 24 hours in a large bowl, covered by at least a couple of inches of water.
2. Drain the chickpeas and place them in a food processor, along with the onions, parsley, cilantro, salt, garlic, ground coriander, and cumin.
3. Process until the mixture is blended and chopped – but not pureed – then, transfer the mixture to a bowl, sprinkle with the chickpea or regular flour and baking powder, and mix with a spatula.
4. Form the falafel mixture into little balls about the size of one tablespoon. Flatten slightly and place on a parchment-lined tray. Continue until all the falafel balls are formed. Place the tray in the fridge for about an hour to let the mixture set.
5. Fill a large skillet with tall sides with a couple of inches of oil, then heat over medium heat.
6. When the oil is heated, add the falafel balls to the skillet by lowering them gently into the hot oil.
7. Cook the falafel on the first side for about 30-60 seconds without disturbing it, so it does not fall apart.
8. Flip the falafel and cook on the second side for 30 seconds before removing them from the skillet to a paper towel-lined tray. Continue until all the falafel is fully cooked.
On the hunt for a new favorite recipe to add to your list of staples? The team at Shadow Bend Apartments in Corpus Christi, Texas encourages you to try your hand at this delicious option.