Meringue cookies are light, sweet, and the perfect treat for hot summer days in Texas! At only 25 calories per serving, you don’t feel guilty eating them – especially since this recipe only take 5 ingredients to make. Plus, they stay fresh for up to two weeks in an airtight container, making them the perfect gift for someone you know who might be struggling with quarantine or 2020 as a whole. Take a look at the recipe we have for you below:
• 4 large egg whites, room temperature
• ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
• 1/8 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup (200 mg) granulated sugar
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• Large piping bag
• Ateco 846 piping tip
• Stand mixer or hand mixer
1. Preheat oven to 225 degrees F and line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside
2. Combine egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt in a large, completely clean, and grease-free bowl.
3. Using a stand or hand mixer with a whisk or paddle attachment, stir mixture on low speed until it becomes foamy, then increase the speed to high.
4. With mixer on high, gradually add the sugar about one tablespoon at a time. Allow it to combine completely before adding another tablespoon – about 15 to 20 seconds in between each addition.
5. Beat until mixture is thick and increased in volume. Mixture should have stiff peaks and sugar should be completely dissolved. Next, stir in vanilla extract.
6. Transfer meringue to piping bag with large tip and pipe onto prepared cookie sheet. Make sure they are decently spaced, so they don’t combine while baking.
7. Bake meringue cookies for 1 hour. Then, turn the oven off and do not open it. Leave the oven door closed and allow cookies to completely cool in the oven (one to two hours) before removing.
8. Pop them out of the oven and enjoy! Remember, to keep them stored in an airtight container and keep them away from heat & moisture that can soften them.
On the hunt for a new favorite recipe to add to your list of staples? The team at Shadow Bend Apartments in Corpus Christi, Texas encourages you to try your hand at this delicious option.