Popularized in the American South, biscuits and gravy consist of soft dough biscuits covered in meat gravy, made from the drippings of cooked pork sausage, white flour, milk, and bits of sausage, bacon, ground beef, or other meat types or meat substitutes. Often flavored with black pepper, in lieu of more complex seasonings, this dish came to popularity during the American Civil War, because it was easy, cheap, and plentiful. Now, American families across the nation are following the same course, inspired by their history. Check out the ingredients and directions below:
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 4 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 tablespoon white sugar
• ½ teaspoon salt
• ½ cup shortening
• 1 egg, beaten
• 1 cup milk
• 1 tablespoon butter, melted
• 1 (16 ounces) package bulk pork breakfast sausage (such as Jimmy Dean®)
• ¼ cup butter
• ¼ cup all-purpose flour
• 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
• 1½ cups of water
• salt and ground black pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a baking sheet.
2. Whisk two cups flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt together in a bowl; cut shortening into flour mixture with a pastry cutter until mixture is crumbly. Mix in egg and milk until incorporated. Turn dough out onto a well-floured work surface and knead for one minute.
3. Roll dough out to a thickness of 3/4 to 1-inch thick, cut with a biscuit cutter, and place biscuits onto a prepared baking sheet. Brush tops of biscuits with melted butter.
4. Bake in the preheated oven until biscuits are golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
5. Cook and stir sausage in a large skillet over medium heat until browned and crumbly, about 10 minutes. Drain excess grease.
6. Stir 1/4 cup butter into sausage until the butter has melted. Then, add 1/4 cup flour until combined. Pour evaporated milk and water into sausage mixture, bring the gravy to a simmer, and reduce heat to low. Simmer gravy until thickened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper.
Mix-up something scrumptious tonight with this special recipe provided to you by Shadow Bend Apartments in Corpus Christi, Texas, and put our updated, fully equipped kitchens to good use!